Credit for Background Design

Credit to Evelyn Flint for Background Design

Saturday, 26 November 2011

Victorian Christmas Pudding Dolls.....C.1900

Dia Duit, I thought you might like to read the story of the Victorian Christmas Pudding Dolls. I am unable to sew, at the moment, very busy at work and unable to do both.
Remember, a couple of weeks ago I went to the Bendigo Swap Meet with DH and his car buddy. While I was foot loose and fancy free and the pair of retro bates disappeared for awhile....I came across an Antique Store with a display of very old bottles .....I chose some pretty mauve ones.....miniatures for a future gift for a good friend.....as I passed ....on the end of the table ......was a small collection.....of these little dolls...pictured above......

I confess, I am a lover of dolls more so than bears.......and have a little collection in an old dolls pram......I used to have them in my own sewing room....in our old house in Melbourne......of course with the new house....I share the study......and no room for the little pram......there is a small nook......in our bedroom...that is where the dollies reside...much to the horror of DH and DD.....they loathe the dollies.....grin.....

These little Victorian Christmas Pudding dolls were used in the Christmas pudding as a good luck charm. A Scottish tradition. They were found at the Albert Park Grand Prix site during construction. The little dolls were sold by A Hoadley and Co., St Kild Road, Melbourne.
I believe, they are made of porcelain and made in Japan. Apparently, they were placed in a box of sand...up to their knee's for their faces to be painted...the chap I purchased the little doll from warned me to be careful in the handling of her....they snap at the knee's.....a bit different to putting a sixpence in the Christmas Plum Pudding.....like my grandma and mother did...when I was a child.......hmmm that means the little doll would be approx. 111 years old.......
SlaƱ O'faigh

7 comments:

Betty Lou said...

What a lovely story of the Christmas Pudding dolls, I have never heard that. Will have to research and find out more. I don't have any old dolls but I admire them all. Love to have a doll similar to the one I remember from my childhood.

Terry said...

What a great story about the dolls! I had never heard of them.

Cheryll said...

Nice story! :)

Allie said...

I have never seen anything like her, how marvelous! I'm so glad you took her home. She's darling!

Merilyn said...

Very interesting Lyn, I've never seen or heard about them before!!! Nice to see she has survived intact for so long!!!

Vickie said...

Thank you for sharing the story of the Victorian pudding doll,I too have never heard of them before-hmm snap at the knees I guess old age would do that to you,cheers Vickie

Kathryn Milner said...

Hi there, I have a pudding doll...aka Frozen Charlotte dolls. Lovely story and you can Google it and read on. My doll is some kind of stone and unpainted and it is threaded on some leather thronging and made in to a necklace. I just love it! Regards Kathryn