Credit for Background Design

Credit to Evelyn Flint for Background Design

Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Playing Hookey.....

Dia Duit, woke up this morning, to a bright sunny autumn day. I asked DH what his plans were, we decided to play hookey.......and travel the Great Ocean Road. I drove down and DH drove home again.
How I wished I had  thought to bring the camera with me. We stopped at Lorne, for lunch, at the local bakery.....wandered across the road......to sit on the picnic setting for lunch..........the most gorgeous fresh salad rolls.....whilst sitting.....two sulphur cockatoo's landed on the table......my mistake....I broke a piece of bread roll off for each of them...they sat and held the bread roll in their feet....before we knew it....we were surrounded by 20 cockatoo's.
To my shock, DH had a cockatoo on each shoulder with another three trying to land on his body....grin..
Over the road, was a Hardware store, I went and enquired if they had any wild bird seed......after handing over three dollars...I had a large bag of seed.
I went back and we quietly feed them.....we were surrounded by overseas visitors as well....one lady asked if I came every day to feed them....I said no I am a visitor the same as you....
In the collection of twenty cockatoo's, there looked like a tamed bird, poor thing, was minus his beautiful crest and was totally mottly looking......the other birds gave him a hard time.....when I feed the seed....he came so close to me.......he knew I was the food machine.....I gave him a little bundle of seed....and tossed handfuls to the others......one lady wanted to catch him and take him to a sanctuary....we said no....he was happy enough with the group and could fly.....
On the way, near Woongarra a revegation area, we saw on the narrow road, we travelled a koala ....absolutely galloping down the road....I kid you not......he was the fastest Koala, I have ever seen over the years.........it was good for my soul, with the sun shining, to feed the Cockatoo's, hear the roar of the surf, and view the beautiful green sea......The Great Ocean Road, is one of my most favourite places to be......
SlaƱ, O'faigh

5 comments:

shez said...

what a wonderful day Lyn.xx

Merilyn said...

What a perfectly wonderful day Lyn!!! I have always wanted to drive the Great Ocean Road, maybe one day eh!!!
Loved hearing about your encounter with the wildlife too, those birds as just magic aren't they!!!!
My day was spent in the garden while the builder was working on the garage, we acheived quite a lot!!!

KaHolly said...

Cockatoos and koalas?? I'm taking the first plane out!! Seriously, you gave that woman good advice. It's better to leave things in nature as they are!! Sounds like a perfectly wonderful day. Hope it restored all of your energy and you are back to sewing again.~karen

QuiltNess (Vanessa) said...

Good on you. You deserve a day out. Xxoo

Allie said...

I'm going to glue your camera to your hand, girl, LOL! This sounds absolutely amazing. I want to go too!!!