Credit for Background Design

Credit to Evelyn Flint for Background Design

Wednesday, 13 June 2012

Unexpected Finds.........

 Dia Duit, over the Queens Birthday long weekend, we travelled north to the Hume Weir. Cortina Nationals was held. The latest project of DH, is the Green Velvet Metallic Cortina, pictured on the left hand side.  We opted out of the short run, and went to Yackandandah for lunch and ventured into an antique shop......my find pictured below....
 I was hoping to complete this little stitchery, and ended up finishing the verse last night after I came home...
The Antique Shop, had many antique sewing machines in different shapes and sizes...I have had a yen for a toy one for sometime to add to my collection of other machines.....I wandered around and spied these three amongst a group of five......my thoughts were to select one......my choice was the little German toy machine because of the decals.........there are bits missing off all three.......I poked my head out of the shop....for DH opinion....DH was no where to be found...drat and bother....................eventually DH came looking for me.......so I asked him which one to choose.....he was non committal......hmmmph......in for a penny in for a pound.....DH said which one do you like...my response was all three.........I nearly fell over with his response......buy all three......I had to negotiate with the owner....and purchased them for a good price...
This morning, I went into town, to the local sewing centre, as I knew they kept bits and pieces.......a couple of years ago, we purchased a 1915 Singer Industrial machine for the purpose of sewing the canvas for our camper......Patrick was fantastic and rebuilt the bobbin and tension for us....
When I went in, I was hoping they would help me out  with some parts......the owner was able to tell us how to restore them and the parts that are missing...asked what I had paid...his response was my purchase price was very good.....advised us with the cleaning component and some of the little screws.......I have a small box of parts to my treadle machine and hoping DH can fit and turn the rest of the missing parts for me......he is a fitter and turner by trade.......alas they are waiting patiently in a little shoe box....Slañ, O'faigh

4 comments:

Allie said...

Well that looks like fun, Lyn! Love your little design you're stitching, and GOOD FOR YOU on getting all three of the darling machines....so cute! And how nice to have someone knowledgeable close by. Hope hubby gets the oil leak fixed on that car, yikes...

julieQ said...

Sounds like you made the car show a big success!! Sorry about the oil leak...those toy machines are wonderful, I have never seen one for saw t our local shops, so I think t is fantastic that you found them!!

Merilyn said...

What great finds Lyn! They are just wonderful, and after a bit of TLC they will be great additions to your sewing space! They are lucky to have found such a good home! Love those Cortinas! what a nuisance about the oil leak, such a lot of work to get to the bottom of it though, hope it all goes well!!!

Cheryll said...

Oh what a fun time over the long weekend. Love the new "old" machines... so interesting!
Hope the Cortina is healthy again and running smoothly for the next day out! :)