Wednesday, 3 July 2013

A Small Piece of Holland in Our Home

 Dia Duit, sometime back I found on Ebay, the above 1940's transfer pattern, I had a yen to stitch for sometime. I knew when DD moved into her new home, I had alot of sorting, moving furniture and spring cleaning to do.Due to DH circurmstances, it was a job I had to do on my own. In the toilet and laundry I had very country curtains, in gingham the colours of midnight blue/beige in the laundry and pine green/beige in the toilet. I always thought they were too dark, especially in wintertime. The saying of while the cats away the mice will play. I reflect and realize why now I am suffering of sheer exhaustion.
 I found some lovely curtaining at Spotlight, in cream. Pictured is an old fashioned dampening bottle, for when you iron. Recently, I went to the Mill Market, and could not resist the little dolls. The stall holder told me, they had been in her family for forty years, her FIL brought them back from Holland forty years ago, for the grands to play with and they were purchased second hand in Holland, then.They are in great vintage condition.
 Many years back, I discovered the kissing Dutch Boy and Girl in an Antique Store in Yarragon, Victoria.The colours attracted me.
The finished laundry, so much more brighter with the change of colour scheme. I had forgotten to mention the stitchery project. I made a washing machine cover with the stitchery, which was then stitched onto the apricot felt.
I hope you enjoyed our little piece of Holland. Inspiration from my DH heritage.
I deeply missed my hubby while he was in hospital, makes you appreciate one another more...
Slañ, O'faigh

10 comments:

Christine M said...

I love all your Dutch bits O'faigh. The stitchery is beautiful.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Beautiful vintage stitchery design...love your Dutch treasures too :-)

Merilyn said...

Your laundary looks like a nice room to be in, good light!!! I love your Dutch accents in this room, delightful!!!!!

Cheryll said...

Oh how lovely... and such a great story! Very interesting place to do some laundry now! :O

marina said...

a lovely little dutch corner.
a great idea to use the little doilie.
Hope hub is recovering better at home.

Charlie and Wendy said...

Your little dutch touches are lovely and the stitchery is very pretty. Hope your hubby is doing well.

Anthea said...

What a lovely makeover of the laundry O'Faigh.. and the little touches whimsy are so sweet! x

Sisbabestitches said...

Such sweet and meaningful touches in such a usually impersonal utility space! You have opened my mind :)

KaHolly said...

THERE you are!! I wonder why my dashboard isn't picking up on your posts!! I had to hunt you down this morning.

Vickie said...

Such a clever idea for a blah space LOL..looks lovely,cheers Vickie