Saturday, 7 September 2013

A Story about My Mum......

Dia Duit, I would love to share a story with you, about my Mum. On Father's Day, DD invited her Nan, Pop, Aunt, DH and myself, as a thankyou for the help we gave to herself and partner, when settling into their new home.

We were sitting at the dining room table, having a cuppa and the following story was told. To say the least, I was astounded, not sure where I was at the time, this happened.

My mother worked in the canteen, of one of the Big Fours Bank, in Melbourne. It was pre RDO (Rostered Day Off) days. My mother and her co workers marched to the Head Office of the Bank with placards, demanding the right to have RDO the same as everyone else. From what I could understand, they would not let workers in or out of the building. Also, Mum was of the era where women did not work, it was her first job.

I looked at Mum, and said what happened next. With a smug look on her face she said. we got our RDO. You need to understand my mother is old school...Seen and not Heard. She is a woman of few words, but sometimes what she says, floors me at times.
Mum, unwittingly fills little sister and I with peals of laughter and we would not dare offend her. She cracks us up big time.  I never thought my Mum would do such a thing.

I turned to my Dad at the table, and he was shaking his head. Apparantly, when Dad came home from work, and Mum told him of the day's happenings, Mum floored his as well. He, also, could not believe, what Mum did.

I hope you enjoyed, the story.
Slãn, Ofaigh

6 comments:

marina said...

It's the quiet ones you have to watch lol
well done mum!!

Christine M said...

You have to watch out for the quiet ones!

Allie said...

Mums never lose the power to surprise us, lol - what is RDO? Bless her heart for her courage!!!

retdairyqueen said...

Mums need to have some secrets Lovely story xx

KaHolly said...

Cute story!! Wish I was more like you mum. I don't say "boo", but when I do, I just walk away with 'egg on my face'.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Still waters run deep. Good for your Mum and good on her for still surprising you all. Lovely story :-)