About Me

My photo
A Quilter's Journey. I have become a piecer of quilts. The part I love the most is choosing a design, the colour/fabric selection, then piecing.

Saturday, 11 January 2014

A Yen for a Hand Carved Doll

Dia Duit, for some time I have had a yen for a hand carved wooden doll from the 19th century. I have seen some in cyberspace, and was taken with the ones I had seen.
On Ebay I came across this Wooden Hand Carved Penny Doll, made a bid, and she was mine.
She came from a very old estate in the States, alot of things in the Estate were from 1880, so I am unsure of her age.
My problem, I am really cross with myself, I have culled some of my books from my bookshelf and obviously have op shopped my two doll books with the vintage of clothes, I would like to make for her. I have trolled quite a few sites and unable to find suitable clothing for her??? Is anyone able to help me, pattern wise. ie somewhere I could purchase a pattern or internet site???? From what I have read about the Penny Wooden Dolls, they were outfitted with minimal clothing. Often the dolls were crudely/simply made and sold for a penny, in the 19th century. In my mind, she would need pantaloons, petticoat and top dress, not sure of an apron or not. Would love your help or thoughts. SlaƱ, O'faigh

9 comments:

katherine said...

A very special doll indeed. I might be able to help you as I have some doll clothes making books if you can email me the dimensions of the doll I will have a look at what I've got. Mum has a few too.

KaHolly said...

Oooh, Lyn, she's a beauty!! Good luck finding a pattern or two to dress her up!!

shez said...

O Faigh try your local library they should have somee that you can borrow,its worth a try ,good luck.xx

marina said...

lovely little doll.
Your mum's placemats look beautiful too.

Merilyn said...

Have just caught up with all your posts now - been without a computer for over a week - something had broken! - well done on obtaining your little doll, she is gorgeous and looking great for her age! I haven't done doll clothes, but I do wish you luck, I'm sure someone out there will be able to help!!! I know you will do a great job when you find the right patterns!!!

Anita said...

I love the doll. Pity about not having a pattern for her. Good luck in finding something for her.
Cheers, Anita.

Sue B said...

What a gorgeous find, I cant wait to see how you dress her.

Charlie and Wendy said...

Your new doll is lovely, I hope you find the patterns you need. Lovely placemats in the previous post too. xx

Alcea Rosea 31 said...

If you look for the book Tottie, the story of a dolls' house, on line you might find a picture of Tottie, a penny doll. It is charming book, which has also been made into a children's animated story. The book is by Rumer Godden.