About Me

My photo
A Quilter's Journey. I have become a piecer of quilts. The part I love the most is choosing a design, the colour/fabric selection, then piecing.

Friday, 7 November 2014

184 days - 582 hours -3249 hexagons....later


Dia Duit, last night I stitched the very last hexagon border in place.
What a journey, I have had with Colonial Rose. Pictured above is my pattern. The page 3 inches by 3 inches.A well journied quilt, travelled with me some 6000 kms on one trip to Queensland, this winter.

Two years ago, hexagons were all the rage as in the pattern Grandmothers Flower Garden. I wanted to make something different. Saw this quilt in a magazine. Unable to locate a pattern, so decided to make the quilt from the picture in the magazine.Black and White photo.
I am unable to find the original post with Colonial Rose. I named this quilt after my great great great  grandmother Ann Higgins, who was a convict transported to Van Diemens Land in 1826. Ann on her muster record was described as,  4'9" tall, brown hair, grey eyes. A washer and needlework woman. What a harsh life she had.
Next step to remove the remaining tacking threads and paper. Looking forward to seeing Colonial Rose quilted. I chose a pink reproduction fabric for the binding. The last photo does not do the quilt justice
Sla~n, O'faigh

12 comments:

julieQ said...

Your quilt is just anazing! Your ancestor had a rough time....tiny lady!

Noela said...

Well worth all the hours and days taken to make this beautiful quilt, O'faigh. Hugs.....

KaHolly said...

Incredible. Beautiful. You are so patient with your hand work. Are you tiny, too?

Jo said...

That is amazing. Well done on your finish

Cheryll said...

Wow...what a great story to go with a fantastic quilt. Well done Ofaigh... Xox

Allie said...

You certainly got those needlework genes, Lyn, this is absolutely stunning - and far more beautiful than the Grandmother's Flower Garden. Oh well done, my friend!

Jeanette said...

Just beautiful. Well done. Hugs,xx

Merilyn said...

Ann Higgins would have been very proud that you have honoured her memory like this, with this wonderful quilt.....well done, so many hours of work, but worth it at the end of the day....great work!!!!

Vickie said...

having followed you with this quilt journey has been amazing and actually being privileged to see it in construction was superb such a clever lady you are, cheers Vickie

Anthea said...

Wow wow wow! What a masterpiece, O'Faigh! Congrats!
I am very interested to see what the quilting looks like & also how you bind it... I've always wondered about those issues with EPP quilts

Cheryl said...

What an amazing effort O'Faigh - it is just beautiful

Katherine said...

Truly well worth the investment in time. It is stunning and I am also looking forward to the its quilted post to see it again.