About Me

My photo
A Quilter's Journey. I have become a piecer of quilts. The part I love the most is choosing a design, the colour/fabric selection, then piecing.

Wednesday, 2 September 2015

The kookaburra's are watching

Dia Duit, upon my travels I stopped at a small country market.Out of the corner of my eye I spied  the kookaburra quilt.There was something about the quilt that tugged at me.You will be probably be appalled, with my following words, the piecing, binding and quilting of this quilt was very , very poor.Something I was not aware of until I had a closer look.I painstakingly unpicked the quilt and added new borders.I sat and thought about how I first started on my quilting journey, how humble my beginnings were, and the many mistakes I made along the way, similar to what was in this quilt.Over the years my passion has grown for this craft and realise  how much I have grown and still learning.It is not meant as criticism on my part just that I am my own worst critic of my work and realised how far I have come from when I first started patchwork in the mid eighties. In the middle of spring cleaning my sewing space. No more ufo's in the cupboard, Lucy Boston here I come.Slan Ofaigh


7 comments:

Cheryll said...

We all improve with practice...and loving what you practice helps enormously . Lovely clean, tidy work room. Xox

Helen said...

That's the journey that makes us what we are and nurtures our love of the craft. Love the kookaburra!!

Merilyn said...

I wish my sewing space was as tidy as yours is.....indeed we learn so much on our quilting journey, at least now this lovely quilt has a new lease of life......

shez said...

Hi ,yes i know where you are coming from,yes its all part of our journey and what a fun ride it is,enjoy your day my friend xx

KaHolly said...

It looks pretty from here! Nice to have a measure to see how far you've come. No more UFOs in the cupboard? Tidy sewing space? Looking forward to your LB blocks! Haven't pulled mine out yet this summer. Maybe it's because I still have plenty of UFOs and a messy sewing space! XO

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Always a changing journey...me o guess that is now it should be xxx

Allie-oops Designs said...

It's just gorgeous Lyn and what a treasure - that's an excellent save, hon, I'm really glad you took the time to fix it. We all learn as we go along, my first quilt had every mistake in the book in it, and I few I made up as I went. That's ok, then we can see our progress as we go!