Tuesday, 21 June 2016

Log Cabin Loonies


Dia Duit, I thought I would share with you the oldest quilt that I had made in the mid eighties.This is the second quilt I had made by machine, my first was by hand. I bought the panel from a small country town we passed through when we went to the Grampians for a holiday. I have had a deep love of Blue and matched the mustard and blue to the pictures in the panel.It has been tucked in the linen press for a long long time, until today where it has seen the light of day and is currently in the washing machine to be refreshed. Humble beginnings to the quilting world. I could not afford a rotary cutter and mat in those days. All the strips were drawn with grey lead onto the fabric and cut by hand. Slan, O'faigh

7 comments:

Jeanette said...

Lovely quilt. I remember the first patchwork pieces i ever made were dresden plate placemats. All 8 cut with scissors & hand sewn together. The backing was hand sewn onto the front as well.

shez said...

Hi Lyn,love it what a great job you did without the tools that we use now,well done my friend .....

Jo said...

How lovely. The colours do go nicely together

kiwikid said...

Very nice Lyn.

Merilyn said...

Always nice to look back to see how far we have come with our quilting, and nicer still to be able to enjoy using quilts that were our firsts.....and the lack of convenient/modern tools didn't hold us back....well done!!!!

KaHolly said...

You've come a long way, baby! We all have! I didn't even know what a rotary cutter was when I first started quilting....oh, my, does that ever age me!

Caryl W said...

amazing...glad we have newer ways of making our quilts...