Monday, 20 March 2017

Under tension....unpicking...Over Tension...

 Dia Duit, pictured above is a small doll quilt that I have recently made.Double Hour Glass was the pattern.The quilting pattern was a flowered stitch.What is wrong with the quilt?
The quilt pieced together really well. I pinned the layers on the quilt frame and used a flower pattern for the machine quilting.When I took the quilt off the frame, the backing was puffed.I have not had that happen before.The only thing I can think of is when I rolled up the quilt for the next row of machine quilting, I must not have tensioned the backing roller. Last Thursday, was spent unpicking the quilting, what a job!!!!!!!!!!!It took five hours to unpick.I pressed the quilt, no machine quilting showing. Well and good.
I discarded the wadding and backings, and started afresh. I changed the quilting pattern to feathers, and once finished , took the quilt off the frame, all well and good, no puckers.
Next Step,press and then straighten the borders in readiness for binding.It was then I had
 realized, I had overtensioned on the quilt frame. The little quilt was distorted and had to be discarded.I was not a happy camper at this stage. As I loved the colours, the pattern and the machine quilting pattern. I have pinned it on my design wall as a reminder about tensioning.
DH commented, you always overtension.What to do? start allover again, by this stage I had the heebie jeebies. Another one of DH comments, if you are doubting yourself, time to sell the machine and frame. Progress report in my next post. Slan, O'faigh ps I am going to cut the little quilt and make a shoulder bag.



5 comments:

I am said...

Hi Linnie what a shame,dont give up my friend and this will make a lovely bag my friend xx

Jo said...

You have more patience than me and are doing a great job. Don't doubt yourself. Just go for it. Keep it up...

KaHolly said...

Heck no! Use it as a learning experience, and give the discarded quilt to a cat. Or a little dog! These things happen. Don't give up! XO

KaHolly said...

P. S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope your day is as wonderful as you! XXOO

Merilyn said...

Firstly Happy Birthday for yesterday!! Your little quilt is very sweet, and to repurpose it into a shoulder bag would be great, even a cushion would be good too. It's all a learning curve using quilting machines, just keep practicing and you will get it right!!!! Hope you are well!!!