Thursday, 27 April 2017

Sailing with the Dolphins

Dia Duit, this past week we have been away at the Gippsland Lakes.For autumn the weather was warm and sunny. Until this past Tuesday, two fronts came in.Bitterly cold.Someone had switched the heating off.The saying goes a picture tells a thousand words. Hopefully, you can picture what happened to us on the water, last Friday. We stayed overnight at The Grange. Due to having Spot and Molly on board, there are only a few places you can go with dogs, as parts of the lakes system is National Park. The decision was made to sail from The Grange to Metung, 12 miles away and stay overnight. The day was overcast, we set sail. Elsie J handled well under the breeze. It was the first time I had sailed under full sail for many many years.Across to the right, I saw fins in the water.Hmmm a pod of dolphins.To our utter delight, the dolphins came to play with us. We were spellbound, as they swam alongside us, behind us, in front of us. One cheeky dolphin was swimming upside down behind us with his nost resting on our tiller. I was torn, I wanted to take a picture, but did not want to miss seeing them. Where I sat, I could have reached out and touched them. They were with us for about fifteen minutes and then bid us farewell. In the thirty years, we have been on the Gippsland Lake system, we have never been blessed with sailing with the dolphins. Slan, O'faigh
Meet Elsie J

6 comments:

I am said...

Wow Linnie sounds magical,what an amazing experience xx

Cheryll said...

I can picture it... and it looks wonderful. What a fantastic adventure on the high seas...xox

Jo said...

Oh how lucky are you.
Wish I had of known you were going to be there. You could have dropped off a gift more me. Save postage. Oh well sounds like a glorious time.... How nice to see the dolphins. What a beautiful spot...I'll be at my brothers soon.

KaHolly said...

Oh, my goodness! How much fun was that!?! Renews your faith, re-engages your hope! XO

Jeanette said...

What a wonderful experience. Hugs,xx

Allie-oops Designs said...

Oh Lyn I could just picture it - what a gift you were given!!!!!!!!!!